By Oceania Cruises Guests Leslie & Peter Rubacky
Weeks later, we’re still reminiscing about our incredible cruise to Alaska. It was 10 blissful days of the great Alaskan outdoors, amazing food and wine, and tons of good old-fashioned family fun – deck games, board games, trivia – did we mention the great wine and lots of laughs? Here are a few of our favorite moments.
1. Our floatplane excursion to Misty Fjords from Ketchikan – it was most definitely equal parts adrenaline and awe.
2. Shuffleboard paired with a good rosé and Alaskan skies – how can you go wrong?
3. Experiencing Sawyer Glacier. We got up close and personal with the glaciers, which you can only do on a smaller ship like Oceania Cruises.
4. The moment we learned this fun fact: not everyone knows how much whales like a good sauvignon blanc.
5. Watching brown bears in Sitka. Despite their imposing appearance, the bears were delightfully playful in their antics, almost juvenile.
We had such a great time, we’re already planning where our next family vacation on Oceania Cruises will take us!
The Panama Canal has long been recognized as one of the greatest achievements of the 20th century. More than a century ago, the 50-mile-long passage created the ultimate shortcut for ships – eliminating the perilous journey around the southern tip of South America and changing international trade forever. Here are a few lesser known facts about the Panama Canal.
By Dr.Ken Beattie
My recent journey aboard Oceania Cruises’ Insignia was a spectacular exploration of Asia. Cherry blossom season held on just long enough for us to enjoy the fluffy pink clouds and rosy carpets at our feet. As ancient as many parts of this region are, the cities are remarkably modern and sophisticated. Shanghai towers with beautiful new architectural wonders, yet is also punctuated with colonial and regional designs. Our stay straddled a weekend and public holiday so locals were out and about in the many green spaces in the city.
When you’ve sailed everywhere in the world, what destination still enchants you? We
recently caught up with Captain Dimitrios Flokos, who is from the seaside town of Volos, Greece, and also happens to come from a long line of seafarers – both his grandfather and father were captains. He developed a deep love for the sea at an early age, and has been
with Oceania Cruises for many years. In fact, Captain Flokos has sailed around the world several times as one of our captains on Insignia’s amazing Around the World voyages. With all of this world travel, his top choice for a destination might come as a surprise to some Americans.
In the spirit of summer, we are turning our focus to the beautiful Pacific Riviera. From horseback riding on the beach to historical cathedrals, these enchanting destinations offer you endless ways to relax and explore.