Guest lecturer Sandy Cares has been delighting guests with her engaging lectures aboard our ships on Caribbean voyages since January 2014. She recently shared a bit of tropical trivia with us – perfect for inspiring your next voyage among these blissful islands. Scroll below the photo slideshow for the answers, and stay tuned for more Caribbean trivia with Sandy in the future!
- Which Caribbean island is the birthplace of the Father of French Impressionism?
- Which Caribbean island has a mountain named for a U.S. President?
- Which Caribbean island boasts the “Thousand Steps?”
- Which Caribbean island played host to George Washington?
- Which Caribbean island has not one, but two Nobel Laureates to its credit?
- St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands – Camille Pissarro was born here, and later educated in Paris.
- Antigua – Mount Obama was dedicated to President Barack Obama in 2009.
- Bonaire is a world-renowned mecca for SCUBA divers who climb the “thousand steps” to the underwater view.
- Barbados was the only place George Washington ever visited outside of the Continental U.S.
Saint Lucia – Sir William Arthur Lewis in Economics (1979) and Sir Derek Walcott in Literature (1992). Ironically, both share the same birthday (January 23rd) only fifteen years apart!
For more fun trivia and insight on the islands, join Sandy on one of her sailings in the sunny Caribbean: