In between luxurious moments spent in your over-the-water bungalow or world-class resort, there’s much to discover below the surface in gorgeous Bora Bora. The protected lagoon offers ideal conditions for unique marine life, and the calm, crystal-clear waters make snorkeling a dream – even for those who have never tried it before. Boasting some of the region’s most fascinating marine life, below are some of the top sea creatures you can witness during your stay.
1. An abundance of tropical fish: intricately patterned butterflyfish and colorful parrot fish thrive in Bora Bora’s surrounding waters. The classic orange and white clownfish, along with Picasso triggerfish and stunning yellow and electric blue angelfish, are also quite common in the lagoon. Discover these unique fish up close while snorkeling or on a glass-bottomed boat.
2. Stingrays: elegant and harmless stingrays are known to glide around Bora Bora’s lagoon. It’s likely you’ll also see black tip reef sharks, a shark species with one of the most timid demeanors. Spend an afternoon discovering these graceful creatures amidst Bora Bora’s crystal clear waters.
3. Sea turtles: according to Tahitian mythology, these sacred creatures are considered to have their origins in powerful sea gods. Sea turtles are protected on Tahiti and you can visit one of Bora Bora’s sea turtle sanctuaries to discover the authentic world of these majestic creatures.
4. Brilliantly colored starfish: Their striking colors help to camouflage them amidst other brightly colored marine life and can help scare off predators. Fascinatingly pure marine animals, starfish actually rely on sea water instead of blood to circulate nutrients in their bodies. Starfish are also renowned for their ability to regenerate its limbs. Witness these iconic sea creatures throughout Bora Bora’s lagoon and beyond.
5. Coral: coral gardens and formations flourish in Bora Bora’s waters. Coral polyps, the organisms which build reefs, are actually fascinating soft-bodied animals which attach to rocks on the sea floor and then bud into thousands of clones over time. The three most common types of coral reef found in Bora Bora are cauliflower, elkhorn and finger corals, all of which provide rich habitats for a diverse range of marine life. Explore one of Bora Bora’s vibrant coral gardens on a memorable snorkel adventure tour.
Bora Bora is truly one of the most beautiful destinations in the world – both above and below the sea!